I like to top with homemade marshmallow, it melts perfectly. It wasn’t until I moved to the south that I became really familiar with putting marshmallows on sweet potatoes. Now…I’m hooked. This is a simple recipe that uses a few ingredients that is easy to make.
Sweet Potato Casserole
- 3 large sweet potatoes peeled and sliced.
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- Marshmallow for top
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium saucepan boil sweet potatoes until tender, drain and place back in pan. Add butter, sugar and spices and mash until blended well.
- Place in casserole dish or individual ramekin bowls. Top with marshmallow.
- Place in oven and bake for 10-15 minutes checking periodically. Bake until potatoes are bubbly and marshmallow is toasty on the top.
Slice the sweet potatoes in slices with the same thickness for even cooking.
I find the best results by using homemade marshmallow. See Recipe.
My favorite part is when you take your spoon and make the first scoop into the toasted marshmallow….so delicious! If you prefer to make one large batch simply place all the potatoes in a baking dish and cover with marshmallows. Serve warm and enjoy!
*this post contains affiliate links for products I recommend.