This light and delicious quinoa recipe is packed full of protein and nutrition. Quinoa is a grain that is gluten free and naturally high in protein. Quinoa can have a slightly bland flavor making it perfect for a lot of different flavor combinations and spice. When I first tried this recipe I wasn’t sure how the texture of the avocado would mix with the quinoa, it turned out to be a very good pair. Since avocado and quinoa taste great with lime it made sense to put them together.
Although this recipe is light it is surprisingly very filling! The addition of broccoli added helped balance the soft texture with some crunch. I added a lot of salt and lime for a natural dressing that tasted wonderful together.You can mess around with this quinoa recipe and add your own ideas. I may add cilantro and tomatoes and some spice next time for a more Mexican flavor.
Lemon Cucumber Quinoa
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 avocado
- 2 limes
- 2 lemon cucumbers chopped
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1/8 cup sesame oil
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Prepare quinoa per package directions, bring to boil then simmer covered for about 15 minutes. While cooling chop lemon cucumbers and broccoli to bite size pieces. Slice avocado into small chunks and leave a few long for garnish. Squeeze avocado with fresh lime juice and add a little salt. Add all the chopped vegetables to quinoa and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Next prepare dressing.
- In a small glass or dressing bottle place sesame oil, rice vinegar, salt, pepper, additional sesame seeds and more fresh squeezed lime juice. Mix well and pour over quinoa, garnish with avocados.
- You can easily add more salt, lime or any of the ingredients to taste. This is a very healthy gluten free, vegetarian snack, side or light meal.