- 5-7 large potatoes (Sliced thin )
- 1 medium Jalapeno (prepped and diced)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 medium shallot (diced)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups pepper jack cheese (shredded)
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese (divided into 2 parts)
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- Slice and prepare potatoes and set aside. Prep jalapenos and set aside. (both optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small saucepan melt butter and add shallots, cook for about 5 minutes. Add 2 tbsp flour and whisk mixture and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Add milk and pepper jack cheese cream cheese and 1/2 cup of the white cheddar cheese and heat over medium-low heat whisking occasionally. Once the mixture is smooth, turn off heat.
- Line a casserole dish with a layer of potatoes. Then pour the cheese mixture over the top. Add another layer of potatoes and add the rest of the cheese mixture. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup white cheddar cheese.
- Cover casserole dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
- After 30 minutes, remove foil and check that potatoes are cooking well, almost soft and cheese isn’t bubbling over. Place back in oven and bake for additional 30 minutes or until potatoes are soft when pierced with a fork.
- If you like the top extra crispy, turn the heat of the oven up to 375 degrees for the last few minutes of bake time.
Prepping the potatoes and jalapenos is optional.
I used an 8 inch casserole dish for this recipe. The potatoes I used were small/medium red potatoes. Depending on how large your casserole dish is or how many potatoes you wish to make you can add more or less of milk & cheese to balance.
You can also layer more than two layers if you wish.
*I baked these potatoes in the oven with a cookie sheet under the casserole dish in case the cheese bubbled up and spilled in the oven.
Test that the potatoes are done by poking with a fork, if they are soft and easily pierced throughout, they are done. If they are still hard leave in oven a bit longer and retest after a few minutes.