This recipe is versatile and can be used as bread or rolls. This is a relatively easy recipe for making your own homemade bread. The best thing about making them yourself is that you can make them into whatever you wish. Perfect with a bowl of soup or even as a bread bowl. Make larger and use them as hamburger buns or form them into hot dog buns. These are slightly sweet and every time I make this it disappears fast!
This recipe is fairly simple and easy to make even if you are new to making homemade bread. I let the dough rise at least 45 minutes or until doubled in size, then only about 20 more minutes after the dough is shaped. You can easily make the dough ahead of time and pop it in the oven right before you are ready for dinner. Nothing smells and tastes better than fresh homemade bread right out of the oven.
- 3 cups or more All purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter plus extra for buttering the tops.
- 1 egg
- In a small bowl whisk warm water, yeast, and sugar and let sit about 10 minutes. This is proofing the yeast when it is foamy it is ready to add to flour.In a medium bowl place flour and salt. When yeast is ready add to flour mixture with egg and slightly melted butter.I mix ingredients gently in the bowl until you can form a dough. Once the dough is formed I move to a floured surface while adding more dough if needed knead dough until soft and springy. You may need to add up to a cup more of flour if too sticky.This can also be done in a stand mixer with the dough hook attachment. Then, just as above you move to a floured surface to knead the dough.Once you have kneaded dough for at least five minutes and the dough is soft, springy and not too sticky place in a greased bowl. Cover and let rise until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.Once doubled in size, remove from bowl and place them on a pizza stone. Brush with melted butter and cover and let sit again at room temperature for at least 20 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Once the dough is ready place on middle rack of the oven and bake at 350 degrees for at least 25-30 minutes. The tops should be golden brown. I usually cut into one to test if the inside is done.Once out of the oven, I brush again with melted butter.
Always knead dough on a floured surface with floured hands. When initially adding flour, add a small amount at a time until dough is workable. This will help keep it soft, if too sticky you can add a little while kneading.
Making these rolls or any kind of bread it usually takes a few times to get them exactly how you like them. It only gets easier with practice. Once you switch from store bought or refrigerated to homemade…it’s hard to argue that fresh isn’t best.
* this post contains affiliate links for helpful products that I recommend.