The holidays are fast approaching…..way too fast! What to bring to all the parties and gatherings? This a quick and easy recipe for a cheese ball appetizer for any occasion. It’s perfect because it goews with everything….like bacon! You also can’t have too much cheese, just saying. Since you can easily mold it into anything, its an easy way to look like you went all out. This recipe uses a combination of sharp cheddar, mozzarella, and cream cheese. I like the flavor balance of these togetrher.
I have tried so many versions of a cheese ball recipe, a lot of times the cheese is hard to spread and serve. This combination of mozzarella and cream cheese hold together well, but is soft enough to spread without breaking a cracker. You can easily add so many other ingredients such as nuts or dried cranberries to this cheeseball recipe for an extra depth of flavor. My favorite is this combination of cheeses plain, tastes great with a wheat or whole grain cracker.
I always get a lot of compliments when I make this. It amuses me how I spend countless hours perfecting recipes from scratch, only to find that everyone was most impressed with a ball of cheese. Hmm…after all that work!Print
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 0 A Lot 1x
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 8 oz package cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Set cream cheese out at room temperature for a few minutes to soften. In a medium bowl shred mozzarella and cheddar cheese. Using a mixer, blend room temperature cream cheese until soft. Slowly add shredded cheeses and mix until blended well.
- Using clean hands mold cheese place mixture into a ball or any desired shape. Serve with crackers.
- For this pumpkin used an additional string cheese to make side stripes and topper. Take one string cheese and cut 1″ off the top.
- Take the large section and slice into tiny strips.
- Mold the pumpkin into the shape of a pumpkin and leave indention marks. Place the thin strands in the indention marks.
- Place the smaller piece of cheese on top as the stem.
- Then take a butter knife and cut out two triangle eyes and make an indention of a mouth, preferably smiling:)
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until serving.
I let the cheese sit out for a few minutes so it is a little soft to handle. Once complete keep covered and refrigerated.
If you are bringing this to a gathering I like to place on a platter and place crackers around he side and always bring a little spreading/serving knife. I keep inexpensive washable and reusable trays on hand for easy transporting. They are nice looking but I wont be upset if they get lost. Such as White Plastic Serving Tray, Rectangular 18″ x 12″ That way what I bring looks nice and I don’t feel wasteful using disposable trays. I also don’t have to worry about losing a nice platter.
I recommend if you bring a recipe like this to a party or gathering to be prepared with utensils like Norpro Stainless Steel Hors d’oeuvres Knife, Set of 6 You may get there and find that your host doesn’t have what you need. Cute, inexpensive and helps you to be prepared.
Cheese balls are easy, you can really use any kind of cheese, youM can really get creative and have fun with shaping it. Who doesn’t love cheese? It molds so easy you can makiit into whatever you can think of. Or, put on your fancy pants and pair it with wine!
Recently for Halloween, I shaped a cheeseball into a shrunken head….too bad I didn’t get any photos it was pretty funny. I used two ends of the egg white of a hard boiled egg for the eyes and used edible marker for the pupil. This winter I will try switching out sharp cheddar for white cheddar and make a white winter snowman cheeseball. Black olives for the eyes and buttons…then pretzels for arms…hmmm.
*this post contains affiliate links