It’s spring! Put away your winter boots, open the windows and get ready for outdoor fun. Perfect time to get the grill ready and have friends and family over for a barbecue. This recipe for Cole slaw is light and guilt free. It uses fat free mayonnaise and skim milk making it very low in fat and a perfect side dish.
- 1 head of cabbage shredded (green or purple)
- 1 carrot diced small
- 1 cup of low fat or fat free mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp chopped fresh dill
- 1/8 cup rice wine vinegar
- In a medium bowl whisk mayonnaise, milk, sugar, salt, and vinegar until well blended and set aside.
- Shred cabbage thinly and place in a large bowl. Dice carrot finely, I used a blender to make them small.
- Add diced carrots with shredded cabbage and then pour mayonnaise over and mix well. You can serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for a few hours and let flavors mix.
I used a large sharp knife to thinly slice the cabbage and then cut in half, just a preference. You can also just get ready made cole slaw mix to make it easier. Sometimes I add some purple cabbage for some extra color. This recipe is so versatile, I use rice vinegar because of the light flavor, really any vinegar would work. If you don’t have fresh dill you can substitute by adding some juice from a pickle jar that may be already in the refrigerator. There are so many different versions and varieties of Cole slaw all equally delicious. I like this version because it has just a tiny bit of tang with a light flavor. try it, play around with ingredients and make it your own!